Here’s some of our story
In 1954, St. Andrew United Methodist Church was started on the corner of Maple Street and Hays Mill. The goal of this new church was to reach the community around the University of West Georgia. For decades, this church accomplished that mission and made a big impact in that community, Carrollton, Carroll County and beyond.
After several years of declining attendance, however, St. Andrew UMC was in need of refocusing and revitalization. The church was approached by the North Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church to do a new type of ministry in partnership with the campus ministry The Wesley Foundation at the University of West Georgia. St. Andrew UMC’s leadership voted to enter into this new ministry. It closed its doors in May 2017 and began the process of relaunching the church under the temporary name New Church West Georgia.
New Church West Georgia launched weekly worship services in January 2018 out of the same building that St. Andrew UMC met in for over six decades. While it was located in the same space, the church launched with a different style of worship, a renewed focus on reaching and investing in the next generation, and both members that stayed from St. Andrew UMC and new people who joined to start this new church.
After a time of prayer and discernment, the name West Georgia Church was decided upon as the best expression of our identity and mission. West Georgia Church is a United Methodist congregation that seeks to make disciples of Jesus Christ by investing in the next generation and loving everyone as Christ loves all of us. We would love for you to be a part of our story and to help us continue to follow Jesus and transform the world beginning with the West Georgia community.